a super detailed account of smoothie detox day 1. (like SUPER detailed)

So, today ends day one of my smoothie detox. And I'm feeling awesome already. Here's a summary of my day:

I went to work at 6 this morning, and on my break I had the green machine Naked juice. While I know those are healthy, they aren't the most ideal for a detox like this. The drink is pasteurized, therefore the fruits and vegetables in it lose a good amount of their nutrients.

After I got off work, I free-handed a deeeeelicious berry peanut butter smoothie. It was great, and so easy to make. My brother was making faces the whole time I was preparing this... he said it sounded like an extremely odd combination. Him saying this sort of made me nervous, but it turned out fantastic!



First, add a cup of blueberries.

Then, add a handful of blackberries. More, if you don't mind the texture from the seeds, less if you do. I also added about four strawberries.

Add a tablespoon of peanut butter. I added a teeny bit more than that, simply because I'm obsessed with peanut butter. It really all comes down to personal preference.

Add a cup of apple juice. I was going to use almond milk, but from all the research I gathered, even soy milk is not recommended for a detox. So I opted for apple juice instead. I was a little hesitant about it, because berries, apples, and peanut butter sounds crazy. But it was tasty!

I decided that I can't thrive on JUST smoothies, so I had some berries on the side.


And that's lunch!

About an hour or two after that, I started to get a little hungry again, so I made a tiny raw salad. It consisted of spinach leaves, mushrooms, serrano peppers, and tomatoes. It was the perfect thing to tide me over until dinner. 

This evening, my mom and I ventured out to Whole Foods Market. We got some really tasty things like quinoa, lentils, wheat germ, papaya, and so many other awesome things. While we were there, I decided I would have the detox salad, along with some broccoli quinoa, and beets. That was basically my dinner. I know it's not a smoothie, but from the research I've done, it's a good idea to have a small meal in addition to the smoothies. So you know, I don't pass out or forget how to eat, or something. 

After a nice, long bike ride I  a.) decided to make my own shampoo and conditioner. Um, it worked awesome. I'll share those recipes soon. After that, I made another smoothie. My final smoothie of the day. This one I got off of one of my lovely detox websites.

Skin Saver Smoothie
-3/4 cups blueberries
-3/4 cups pitted cherries
-5 strawberries
-1/4 avocado...pitted and peeled
-2 tsp. wheat germ
-2 tsp. ground flaxseed
-water to thin

Oh my gosh, this one was so tasty. It was even better than the first one, let me tell you!

Tomorrow, I plan on having less whole food, and more smoothie.   

Oh, and don't forget a whole lot of water! I probably quadrupled my water intake. Water is SO necessary, to help get rid of the toxins and to prevent coming down with detox symptoms. 

Okay, for awhile there today I had an INCREDIBLE amount of energy. I was seriously bouncing off the walls with energy. I kind of crashed though, somewhere between the raw salad and the detox salad. I'm really looking forward to day 3...that's supposed to be the day that it really hits you. Hello, crankiness. Awesome.

 Anyways, I hope everyone had a wonderful day, and my next post will be normal, and not vegan centered, I swear!

3 comments:

  1. You are such a hippie. But in a good way. As long as you keep shaving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try that skin saver one, the avocado sounds a little weird, but I trust you. And to go along with what Chelsey said, please keep shaving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was actually really tasty, Amanda! You can hardly taste the avocado. It adds a really nice texture to it though. Oh, I will keep shaving. Don't you guys worry.

    ReplyDelete