rain, rain, stay awhile. (a guide to a hoopla filled rainy day)

January is the most awful month in the whole world. WHO EVEN CAME UP WITH THIS MONTH?

There is absolutely nothing to be excited about in January. Unless you hate holidays and love the bitter cold. Then party on.

I feel as if eeeveryone has the January funk, this year. That would be all good and jolly if that was the latest dance craze (I'm sending myself to the corner for that joke) BUT. IT'S. NOT. It's lame and awful and lame and I cannot wait until February because that means Valentine's Day and that means I can throw heart shaped things at everyone. YESSSS. Last year, I wanted to karate chop every single couple holding hands apart just because I was slightly bitter. This year I still want to do it...because I still think it would be fun.

But I digress. A lot.

This particular January has been especially weird because the weather has been flinging itself around. Just a week ago, it was snowing. Today it was in the 60s and stormy, yesterday it was SEVENTY. Whaaaa? I don't know. Apparently January forgot it was January and is trying to be March. YOU'RE NEVER GOING TO BE MARCH, JANUARY. NEVER.

Anyways. Put on some warm socks (this phrase is in no way a thing, but I'm making it a thing) because I have compiled as list of ways to handle January's insecurity. Even though there are only two days of January left. But whatever. RAINY DAY COPING MECHANISMS, GO.

(i love you, warm polka dot socks. i do.)

Basically, this includes socks (but we've already covered that...that being feet. with socks.), twinkly lights, many blankets, Arcade Fire, and a recipe for muffins. bald cupcakes.

Earl Grey Poppy Seed Muffins:

ingredients:
4 Earl Grey Tea bags (or about 4 tsp loose tea leaves)
(1 cup) milk
(2 1/2 cups) self-raising flour
(3/4 cup) sugar
1 tbsp poppy seeds
(1 stick plus 1 more tbsp) butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly whisked
To glaze or serve: marmalade or apricot jam


First of all, preheat that oven to 350°F and line a 12-hole cupcake pan with liners, OR folded squares of baking paper, if you want to get all fancy. Then warm the milk until it's almost boiling in a small saucepan, add tea bags, and set aside to infuse and cool. Place the flour, sugar and poppy seeds in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the milk/tea mixture, butter, and eggs and use a whisk to gently combine until smooth. After you spoon the batter into the cupcake pan, put the pan in the oven and have a 25 minute Arcade Fire dance party. THIS IS ESSENTIAL TO THE INTEGRITY OF THE MUFFINS. I REPEAT, ESSENTIAL. Try your best not to over-dance/over-bake them because they will explode. Not really, but you WILL have some dry muffins. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Finally, spread some apricot jam on those muffins and prepare to never want to eat anything else ever again. Seriously. 


(ESSENTIAL.)

After you have sufficiently stuffed yourself with muffins, I recommend curling up in your nest of a bed, turning on all the strings of fairy lights you have in your room, listening to the rain/ thunder, and taking a nap/ watching a movie. 

I wish I could marry my bed. 

And THAT is how you handle a rainy, not snowy, day in JANUARY. (let me reiterate that you need to pull yourself together, January.) I'm ready for you February. Valentine's Day and the anticipation of spring, HERE I COME! 

No comments:

leave me a love note. it'll make my day.