il bel far niente.

there is a pleasure in the pathless woods, 
there is a rapture in the lonely shore, 
there is society, where none intrudes,
by the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more,
from these our interviews, in which I steal,
from all I may be, or have been before, 
to mingle with the Universe, and feel
what I can ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal.
-Lord Bryon

Today, I embarked on a one woman journey into the woods. Like Henry David Thoreau. Except more ladylike. And only for a few hours. It was just my camera, a book, a pencil, a notebook, and me.

What sparked the idea for this journey was my long and exhausting day at work. The only thing that kept me motivated to keep trekking on, was this plan I had been fabricating in my head all morning. There is a lovely park with a trail that winds up into the woods, along with a lake near my home. I decided that I would pack up a scrumptious lunch, grab my camera, head for this spot, and enjoy the glories of nature all while letting my creative juices flow. Adventure, in the sweetest form.

These days, I find myself rarely leaving the house except for the following three reasons:
1. work.
2. running errands and frolicking around with my mama.
3. to work out.

Despite the summery weather, and my love for nature, I've been a house dweller, besides the occasional run and bike ride outdoors. The other day on my run, I stopped and picked a bouquet of Queen Anne's lace. But that's a different story, for a different day. But today...today was different from my usual, monotonous routine. I explored. I soaked up the sun. I made a squirrelly friend. I ditched my iPod in favor of the symphony of birds. It was me and nature, and that was it. I did not feel the need to check my phone, not even once. I didn't keep track of the time. I need to have more days like this, this summer. I see a lot of them in my future, exploring other trails in my little town.

I feel envious of people who have this as their daily life. Who live on large plots of land, and can go exploring whenever they want. Who can frolic in the wild without having to drive to some park. I hope for this to be my life, one day.



The view from lunchtime. {I had a tofurkey, alfalfa, and veganaise sammie, chickpea and tomato salad, grapes, and some banana blueberry granola.}











 I befriended a small woodland creature, named Quincy. I kid you not when I said I befriended him. He would scurry ahead of me... stop and make sure I was still there... and keep on scurrying. This carried on for a long while. He let me get incredibly close to him. 








Can you spot Quincy?




And as for this evening? I plan on making a batch of sweet potato burgers and peanut butter cookies. Today is National Peanut Butter Cookie Day, you know, so snack on!

note: the only time I was NOT at peace and one with nature was when I heard a rustling in the nearby forest floor. I had a vision of a R.O.U.S. like from a Princess Bride scurrying out (more like stomping) and gobbling me up! That would have been unfortunate, I think.

No comments:

leave me a love note. it'll make my day.